A locus for eccentrics (hopefully)

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

eMusic rocks

I know this will not come as a surprise to many of you. I have been hearing for a long time about how good a service eMusic is. The deal is, basically, you sign up and have a 14-day trial period wherein you are allotted 50 (!) free MP3 downloads. And that's about it. If you don't cancel at the end of the 14 days, you are moved on to a subscription and you're charged for the service (40 downloads a month $9.99, 65 for $14.99, 90 for $19.99). I guess I like the site because a) there's so much new, great music on there; b) great interface and simple downloading process; and c) once you download a song (or album), you can access those downloads from different machines. This last one is especially useful if you use, say, a laptop at home and a different computer at work/business/office/whatever. Anyway...I definitely recommend trying it out. You can probably get your 50 downloads done in about 15-30 minutes and then immediately cancel. Pretty sweet if you ask me. For the record I got Islands' return to the sea and Of Montreal's the gay parade. The first few songs on the Islands' album are fantastic (one is from some commercial that I can't currently place) and Of Montreal is ridiculously happy. I need to get used to both. Anyway, I'd recommend trying this service out.

I actually posted my book response stuff on the reply section of Intrepid Flame so check there if you are interested. Definitely getting excited about the Austin City Limits festival in September, more so after reading all these reviews of Lollapalooza and Pitchfork. I also gotta say--Chicago is one helluva town. Those reviews confirm it for me. Texas is hotter than the surface of the sun ("my favorite planet"), but I think I am sort of getting used to it. I have finally realized that whenever I go outside, I will sweat. It's just a fact. The only thing that sucks is that it makes trying to do anything outdoors involving exercise (in my opinion, anyways) almost impossible. I mean, even at 6:00 am, I think it is 82 degrees Farenheit and 80% humidity. That being said, I'm going to put on my game face, break out the wristbands, and get my racket on tonight. I'm out for blood on the tennis courts, my friends.

3 Comments:

Blogger neill said...

What are your options at eMusic as far as file quality / DRM?

9:53 AM

 
Blogger Jefe said...

You don't really have choice, but looking at my file downloads they average at about 200 bit rate, but range from 180-320.

11:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » »

7:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home