A locus for eccentrics (hopefully)

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Brass Fixtures on the Titanic

It's always been the case that after you graduate from high school, you start losing track of some people. It's the nature of passing through the stages of life; your emotio-relational durability with different people is, well... different. So it's to be expected that you can't keep up with everyone you hung with in 9th grade. Such is, or was, the nature of things.

If the Internet Phenomenon has changed anything, it's blown that time-honored tradition out of the water. You get to hear updates about all sorts of people you haven't thought about in six, seven, eight years if you happen to be in the right place at the right time.

This is not progress.

Ignorance is, as is too often the case, bliss. Exhibit A? Myspace. Absent Myspace, I could imagine that all sorts of people from my high school went on to do all sorts of clever, interesting productive things. Unfortunately.... no. These people are growing beards, smoking pot, working at video stores, "focusing on their music," weaving their auras and getting really, really into anime. And they're inlining mp3s on their profiles.

God help us and pass the ammo-- don't worry, I'll only need one.

sorry, got some extra bitterness today

4 Comments:

Blogger Intrepidflame said...

I am growing a beard, (I don’t) smoke pot or work at video stores, but I do like to play music and inline poorly produced mp3s on my website. Does this make me a bad person?

8:40 PM

 
Blogger neill said...

Tough to say without actually knowing you, but yeah I'd say that ambushing people with mp3s is a bad signal.

Here's my point-- look at this and tell me that there's a normatively positive social good being produced. I'd love to hear the case.

10:54 AM

 
Blogger Intrepidflame said...

"I'd say that ambushing people with mp3s is a bad signal."

i just want to be loved....is that so wrong?

8:50 PM

 
Blogger neill said...

Heh, but do you want to be loved by people who love embedded music on webpages?

10:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home