A locus for eccentrics (hopefully)

Monday, May 14, 2007

Hits when I turned 18

Intrepid Flame has "tagged me with a meme," which sounds like something one would normally take penicillin for. But apparently, it means that I should take the top hits from the year I turned 18, which in my case was 1995, and write a bit about them.

Let's see: 1995...I turned 18 at the very end of my senior year, so most of the year was spent in the haze of a "lost summer" or the beginnings of my first year in college, which itself was pretty fucking hazy too. Actually, that's when I first started really branching out into music (thanks Kim!), so these hits have little relevance in my life, but I'll do what I can with them. With accompanying YouTube goodness, of course.

1. Cotton Eye Joe - Rednex
Wow. This song pretty makes me want to kill myself, and others around me. The throbbing in my temple increases as the song progresses. It juxtaposes so much nausea and disturbing trends in music for its time, that it does function as sort of a time capsule. The horrible female waif; the shitty techno; the yelping; the fucking fiddle. Abject failure.


2.One Sweet Day - Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men
You know, I used to really like Boys II Men back in the day. "Boyz II Men, ABC, BBD, the East Coast Family." Mariah's still sorta in the cute "Someday" era of fashion, which may be the only redeeming quality of the video. It's just so saccharine, the plodding, heaviness of it all is a little too much.



3. I'll Be There For You - Rembrandts
I fucking love this power ballad!


4. Take Your Time (Do It Right) - Max-A-Million
I can find no record on this song on YouTube. So it obviously never existed. Next!

5. We've Got It Goin' On - Backstreet Boys
Isn't this beat from "This is How We Do It?" A Shitstorm Tornado of Crap is my take.



6. This Is How We Do It - Montell Jordan
Fuck yeah. Now we are actually talking. I'm okay with this song. Actually, the lyrics kind of suck though. Sort of a perverted cross between smoove R&B and shitty Puff Daddy crap. "You gotta get your groove on before you get paid." Shouldn't this be the other way around? "Let's flip the track from the old school back." I also have a hard time seeing Montell chilling in South Central, but what do I know? Oh, and Montell, don't rap ever again, thanks.

(Is that guy eating a Sausage McMuffin in the first few seconds?)

7. Boombastic - Shaggy
Shaggy and me are cool. I got nothing against Shaggy.


8. Run Away - Real McCoy
Ah, so this is the song that beat is from. Not my fave. Heard it enough though.


9. I Could Fall In Love - Selena
Hey man. She's the Queen of Tejano music. 'Nuff said.


10. You Gotta Be - Des'ree
Let's just move on.

For stuff I actually liked, try these on for size:
blur

pavement

tricky

smashing pumpkins

radiohead

mobb fucking deep

4 Comments:

Blogger Intrepidflame said...

Thanks for playing along jefe. You Tube bonanza! I have downloaded two Built to Spill CDs and I am stoked!

8:10 PM

 
Blogger neill said...

I very distinctly remember traveling to Rockford for "club" soccer and hearing "Cotton-Eyed Joe" at least three times there and back. Good times!

7:15 AM

 
Blogger Jefe said...

You can't go wrong with BtS...

8:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jefe, I was 18 at the same time and I really didn't remember any of the top 10 songs-except Red Neck Joe. Is this how the top 40 hits will always be remembered? really, not at all?

4:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home