A locus for eccentrics (hopefully)

Monday, February 26, 2007

The new stylez

Pan's Labyrinth, though perhaps inappropriately translated (more accurate could be The Faun's Labyrinth, as Pan is pretty specific), is certainly one of the finest movies I have seen in the past year. Ever aspect of this flick is so finely and expertly crafted, that one simply is left awestruck by Guillermo del Toro creation. It is really inspiring to see such a lovingly created movie, though the movie is anything but cutesy. Much more cautionary fable than simple fantasy, the beauty of Pan's Labyrinth is the parallel structure of its storytelling. And unlike so many Pulp Fiction wannabes, this film never forces the intertwining of the drama. The characters, cinematography, special effects, punctuating violence, and drama is really something to behold. Highly recommended.

On other fronts, I have been enjoying a boon of late in the music department. I'd like to share some of my favorite recent finds.

Exhibit A: Deerhoof. I don't think I had ever heard this band before, say, a month ago. But it's suddenly become a "need to get everything they have ever made" situation. I recently eMusicized their newest LP, Friend Opportunity. It's great. Very poppy, and somewhat more accessible than some of their other stuff, at least this is what I gather. To wit:
deerhoof - +81
deerhoof - cast off crown

Exhibit B: The Blow. I missed the boat on this one too. I'm not entirely convinced that the whole thing is a work of genius, but when they get it right, they make some catchy ass music.
the blow - parentheses
the blow - true affection







Exhibit C: Elf Power. Another one of the Elephant 6 collective (Neutral Milk Hotel et al.). Again, I'm way late to this show, but better late than never. The sound is unique, and it took some getting used to, but I really think they are doing some amazing stuff.
elf power - olde tyme waves
elf power - jane

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home