A locus for eccentrics (hopefully)

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Holy shit

Rachel and I just watched the multi part NOVA I've been tivoing the last couple weeks--"The Elegant Universe" about string theory and unified theory. It totally blew my mind and was incredible, the best thing I've watched in a long time. You can watch it online:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/

Something that amused me was the talking heads--it occured to me that I was so used to seeing talking heads in documentaries and especially on the news that are all labelled "American University" or like "Southern Arizona State University" that it's almost novel to see "MIT," "Stanford" or other prestigious university. I've always wondered if the current intentional distrust and disgust with academics and people who know stuff in the USA has been caused by the continuous misuse of the the media and whatnot of 3rd rate academics.

3 Comments:

Blogger Guy Tarkington said...

Uh, you got a problem with So. ASU, bucko? Most of the best scienticians in the world graduated from there.

6:04 PM

 
Blogger neill said...

Come now, you're in academia--how close a correlation do you really believe there is between location and ability?

8:10 AM

 
Blogger steve said...

I suppose you're right--but I can't shake the sneaking suspicion that things are different in the physical sciences and the ability of the cream to rise to the top is better.

4:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home