A locus for eccentrics (hopefully)

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Thoughts on Mardi Gras

This past weekend saw our annual (2 years strong!) pilgrimage to New Orleans for the beginning of the Mardi Gras parades. This early portion is nowhere near the hullabaloo of the later dates (from what others tell me), but nonetheless, it fucking delivers. So here are a few thoughts/musings, in no particular order...

1. Catholicism allows this shit? I mean...damn. I realize that it sort of transcends the religious aspects now, and is probably more of a party/social gathering than anything else, but there is some seriously wild shit that goes on at these things. Pasties, cod pieces, and chaps, oh my!

2. New Orleans is part of the United States? Seriously, everything about this city is practically foreign to me (or US, if you will indulge me on that shitty pun). The bars are open 24 hours, live funk pours from every watering hole within spitting distance, and the foods...oh the foods! Delicious culinary delight! Boudin balls, Praline Bacon, Red Beans and Rice, Bread Pudding, Muffaletta, Shrimp Po' Boys...

3. Getting dressed up in costume is not really about being somebody or something that everyone can recognize, but rather being seen and being outrageous. This sort of made sense after we had been dancing in the costume ball in front of the 101 Runners and their humongous, resplendent feathered headdresses and I realized that at least 10 people in front of us were, in fact, dressed up in giant sperm costumes.

4. New Orleans is still in pretty bad shape. Many of the buildings are falling down, crumbling and moldy. The streets aren't exactly any better. As we drove on I-10 up over and around the French Quarter, my friend pointed out a bunch of large, white tents. They were put in after the storm for temporary shelter of some sort, and now serve as the central lockup, nearly 2.5 years later.

5. Considering the mold problems, I dunno how the people with sinus issues can handle living down there. All my friends were suffering terribly, and they had only been there a few days.

6. Even though it's the South, it can get pretty damn cold. Being out at midnight when it's 35 with a 30 MPH wind chills to the bone.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

That's a way more elaborate costume than I was imagining when you said you dressed up.

8:29 PM

 
Blogger Jefe said...

Yeah, we went to a costume shop where they outfit plays and stuff. I was supposed to be the mad hatter. Last year I was a mad scientist, but it was much shittier--I just wore a lab coat, some scrubs, and put gel in my hair to make it stand up. I looked like a dweeb.

8:06 AM

 
Blogger neill said...

Nice. I like the plastic cups, too.

10:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home