A locus for eccentrics (hopefully)

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Getting back into it

Holy love monkeys this is good stuff. Woxy radio, which is an all-internet radio station and had been basically bankrupt, has been resuscitated and is back on the "air." It is some seriously great shit, my friends. There is some annoying plug-in thing you have to get somewhere but it's totally worth it. I've listened to so much great music today. Very entertaining. And the first song to kick off the rebirth: "Kick Out The Jams [muthafucka]," by the MC5. Good start.

Saw "The Departed," Scorsese's new gangsta flick. It was getting hella-good metascores at metacritic, and I am just the world's biggest sucker for anything Matt Damon. It certainly boasted an ensemble to be reckoned with (Jack N., Wahlberg, Martin Sheen, DiCaprio) but it just didn't do it for me. It was pretty good, but something about it just didn't work. The blood ran thick and slicked the ground repeatedly and Nicholson gave a fantastic performance, but between DiCaprio's shitty Boston accent and a police room that just seemed too incompetent even for a police dept., it didn't hold its water. So...I'd give it around a B+/B.

The little lady just picked up her very first Macbook, which is an entirely pleasing piece of aesthetics. They really do plan their products well, that Apple lot. I'm still getting used to a few of the differences, like the laptop eating the CD every time you put it in, Safari (which is pretty fine as far as I can tell), and just the way that programs close and whatnot. But I can tell already that the iTunes interface is pretty sweet, the built in videocamera is great (I've got some nasty, shirtless photos that deserve posting for posterity), and it is just a beautiful piece of work.

I've been getting into some Bonnie "Prince" Billy shit, and man is it good. Sort of rustic Americana for dat ass, Todd Oldham really knows how to create some melancholy, broken ballads. I just love that sort of shit. Call me a sadsack. Actually, the only thing I have so far is an older disc, back when he was in a band called Palace; the CD is called Palace Music. There's another band I am sorta into, called Canada. They are from Ann Arbor and play an organically inclined indie-folk set. Not too shabby, but nothing to write home about. Writing on one's blog, however...

Oh yeah, it's still hot as balls in Texas. Incredible.

I missed the Hold Steady show last night in Houston, but I am planning on going to the Built to Spill and Broken Social Scene shows next weekend. Should be dope. I was considering going to Okkervil River too, though I am not sure how they will translate to a live format.

Peace!

4 Comments:

Blogger neill said...

I'm digging it--wasn't prompted to get a plugin, though. I'm just using Winamp.

9:10 PM

 
Blogger Jefe said...

Nice. If you're up early, the morning show is better than the afternoon stuff IMHO.

8:30 AM

 
Blogger neill said...

Yeah, I've just had it on from 6-6:45 and it's been very adult contemporary-ish for the most part.

5:57 PM

 
Blogger Jefe said...

Morning is consistently good, new rock.

1:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home