A locus for eccentrics (hopefully)

Saturday, July 01, 2006

4-5-Pussy

I'm really dissappointed by the tactics I've seen at this year's world cup. It's almost completely 4-5-1 and very cautious. This would make sense if you had a team (Portugal) that has a slew of great midfielders and no logical 2nd striker--and a striker who's used to playing all alone up front (Pauleta). But when you look at a team like France, who are playing 4-5-1 and have Trezeguet sitting on the bench... I don't know. Nevermind Brazil--of course Ronaldinho is pretty much playing forward but still more of a deep second striker. But Brazil with one forward? I don't get it.

More than that I think it's hurting these teams that are playing it. The midfielders who are supposed to be coming up the wings or coming late for crosses just aren't coming. I think given that you have to play the second real striker up front since the midfielders are just not working hard offensively, perhaps because of the pressure of the World Cup and not wanting to be the guy who didn't get back to protect his goal, perhaps that's what they've been instructed.

4 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

Additionally, what the fuck is Barthez doing playing at the world cup level?

4:18 PM

 
Blogger neill said...

France looked terrific today, and I thought Ribery, Vieria and Maladou did a great job of running onto chances to support their formation. That said, I agree that it's not clear why the 4-5-1 is vogue all of a sudden.

4:47 PM

 
Blogger steve said...

France did end up looking good today with good support from the midfield; but Brazil? England with only Wayne Rooney? I dunno.

And Zidane as absolutely amazing today. It was one of the best performances I've ever seen, personally. I don't think I've ever seen somebody with a consistently better first touch with the ball.

9:51 PM

 
Blogger neill said...

I wonder if Brazil played that way in response to the French; France's midfield is pretty large with Zidane and Vieira. England just got fucked because Eriksson brought the wrong damned players to the tournament. If you're only going to have 4 strikers and you know that 2 of them have health problems, you need to be willing to play all 4 of those guys.

Ditto on Zidane, though. He played out of his mind.

9:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home