A locus for eccentrics (hopefully)

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Ugandan President wins reelection

You know, I've always had a problem with this because I've always sort of liked Yoweri Museveni. I mean, I don't know if I could have a beer with him or anything but I've always generally approved.

Ok, yeah, clearly a dictator. But he generally doesn't kill his own people, he implemented the massive and successful campaign for safe sex against the AIDs virus (where democratically elected Mbeki won't even admit HIV causes AIDs and has a panel looking into that important science), he allows local politics (at least in the Bugandan south) to be relatively free, supported the Tutsi invasion force that interrupted the Rwandan genociders, led the rebels who took power from the heavyweight champion of Uganda Idi Amin and he has his troops fighting against the most disgusting rebels perhaps in the entire world, Koney's Lord's Resistance Army. All in all mostly a regime I could get behind, besides the nasty dalliances in Congo to steal diamonds and whatnot.

So I'm not sure how I feel about this. Seems like it's better than Nigerian democracy or something...?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home