A locus for eccentrics (hopefully)

Saturday, January 06, 2007

The death of the R rated action movie

...and I fucking lament that death. As I just e-mailed Neill, I was watching a tivoed recording of conan the barbarian. A fine fucking film I recommend everyone see. FINE. And it's R rated. Now on the AMC rebroadcast there weren't titties. But if I was watching it at the time, there would be titties, and importantly, there would be shit in there that I wasn't necessarily expecting. Shit that could be surprising. Some guy getting his head cut off? Yes. A hero dying or, for example, getting crucified? Yes. Non-CG scenery (from Spain in Conan's case) without any bullshit and plenty of extras and props? Yes. I can't believe the mass market shit that is getting passed of as action these days with a lame PG or PG 13 rating.

For exhibit A, go see one of the number one action movies of all time, Die Hard. Still to this day one of the all time greatest movies. Or my favorite movie of all time, the Road Warrior. Just completely on task no crap movies that don't always hold your hand and explain every mystery away.

On an 80s sort of note, I recommend seeing Conan for the main character chick involved--a blonde, Scandinavian type lady but with blemishes and not completely airbrushed into a porcelein doll like modern leading ladies, in particular in action movies. To continue this theme, just do a google search for playboy centerfolds throughout history--check out those 60s, 70s and even 80s ladies compared to the horrible plastic bullshit of the mid to late 90s and aughts.

Is this all just "In my day..." shit? Maybe, but I don't think so--early 80s mid 80s was *not* my day--I was born in 81. As much as I'd like to think I absorbed a lot of shit when I was 5 years old, I don't think I would. Fuck, my mom wouldn't let me! So I think it has something to do with something that has been lost in the movies and popular culture at some point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home